The thought of having unwanted pest in your home in an unsettling one. Luckily there are several easy ways to prevent pests from attaching themselves to your property. Find more information on pest prevention and treatment at domyownpestcontrol.com.
What steps can you take to keep your apartment pest free?
Keep the kitchen as clean as possible – The primary reason bugs decide to stay is easy access to food.
- Wash dishes right after use
- Wipe down counters tops consistently
- Rinse and dry sinks at night to eliminate water source
- Empty toaster crumbs and clean appliances
- Thoroughly sweep the floor to get rid of crumbs
- Mop at least once a week
- Use a trashcan with a tight fitting lid
Get rid of clutter – the more clutter you have the more places pests have to hide.
- Throw out old cardboard boxes
- Eliminate unneeded papers or store securely
- Don’t keep lose blankets, clothes, or papers on the floor – secure in containers
- Get rid of unused items – clothes linens, food, and papers
Check for moisture problems. Almost all pests need water to sustain itself.
- Fix leaky faucets
- Check for sweating pipes
- Check seals around doors and windows for moisture
What’s the first thing to do if you already have pests?
Find the source. Inspect your apartment thoroughly and look for anywhere pest can enter. Look for gaps, cracks, or holes around appliances, cabinets, cables, doors, windows, and even under baseboards. Also look for signs of pests like gnawed holes in walls, feces or urine.
Identify the problem. It’s important to know exactly what kind of pest you’re dealing with. Treatments vary drastically depending on the type of pest or insect. You can usually identify pests from sightings or droppings. If you’re unsure contact a professional before continuing.
Seal up any entry points you found with copper mesh, Pur black foam, caulk, hardware cloth or sheet metal.
Next choose a treatment that’s appropriate for the pest you’ve identified. Here are some treatment methods for common pests.
Infographic from pestcontrol-phx.com
Infographic from loveinfographics.com
For our residents we always recommend Ortho Home Defense, which can be purchased at Lowes, Home Depot, & Walmart and works very well for general pest control purposes. It's safe for pets and children once the product dries. IF a resident has attempted to treat themselves with no luck, we then encourage them to call the office so we can assist with their pest control concerns.